Pages

Shabby blogs background

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Tooth Fairy Cometh

Marley has had a couple "wiggly" teeth for about 5 or 6 weeks now. Basically since her 6th birthday - that was when I discovered the first one anyway. On Saturday as we are getting ready for Paige's birthday party she comes racing over to me with something clutched in her hand.
"Mom! Mom! Look!!!" She squeals. I'm used to such emotionally charged outbursts from her that usually are to tell me that she unlocked a new bike on MarioKart or to show me a Goldfish cracker with no smile or something along those lines. Needless to say, I was not expecting to be blown away.
But I was! There in her hand was her tooth! So small!! Such a milestone! (And to happen on Paige's "day" too ... hmmm, if I didn't know better I'd say she planned it that way. But that would be mean spirited of both her and me!!)

Here is that first little tooth ...
... and the proud, gap-mouthed Marley!

We wrapped up her tooth in a tissue but instead of putting it under her pillow right away for the Tooth Fairy, she wanted to save it and show it to her Kindergarten teacher. She quite innocently asked if we could ask the Tooth Fairy to come on Monday instead. Hmm ... yup, I think that could be arranged! LOL! So after the pictures were taken and sufficient attention paid to the now gap-mouthed 6 year old, preparations for Paige's party could be resumed. (I'll post about that in a bit!)

The next day was Sunday and Marley had a field hockey game. We scrambled to get there and once there discovered we'd forgotten her mouth guard. It went something like this:
Greg: "Where's Marley's mouth guard?"
Me: "I don't know, where'd she have it last?"
Greg: "At practice I'd assume. Is it in her bag?"
Me: "I'm looking ... no, it's not here. Is it in her stick bag?'
Greg: "I already looked there!"
Me: "Well, I don't know where it is! Why are you looking at me like that?!"
Greg: "Like what?!"

Well, you get the idea. Nothing like organized sports ('fun' leagues at that) to bring out the best in parents!! In the end she played with out it. I figured the worst that could happen is that she'd lose the OTHER loose tooth in her mouth! By this time it was looking like a good hard sneeze would knock it out! But she did not. At least, not then! We'd been home for all of I think 15 minutes when she came running with the familiar "Mom! Mom! Look!"
Tooth #2 was in her hand!
"Now I can stick my tongue through the gap, Mom. Want to see?"

So we added tooth #2 to tooth #1 and returned them to the school bag. Now she had an even bigger surprise for her teacher! And the Tooth Fairy was saved a return trip!!

After much research, we determined that the going rate for teeth these days is $2/tooth. So this morning this is what Marley found under her pillow. Diggin' the bed-head btw!!
(For my non-Canadian readers, these are Loonies - our $1 coins!)

Greg and I are suddenly faced with the harsh reality that our little girl is not so little anymore. When did that happen?!?!? Sigh. Soon she'll have adult teeth! Sigh. What's next? Bras and makeup? Yikes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment