Pages

Shabby blogs background

Monday, July 25, 2011

OLW July and MotherLOAD Week 4

I managed to convince Greg to take the girls to the drop-in at Delta Gymnastics (thanks Colleen!!) so while I have the house to myself I thought I'd better post about  the work that went on in my craft room this weekend. And today. But mostly over the weekend! :)

First up, was One Little Word. At the beginning of July I got caught up on the past few months of homework assignments (see this post here) and I've been working on July's assignment all month. Let me explain. The task was to pick 9 songs that comprise a soundtrack of our Word as it applies to us right now. This was tricky for me. I love music and music can generate such a wide range of feelings in me. Greg and I have mostly widely differing tastes in music! He likes the new, edgy Rock/Alternative stuff (with a healthy dose of the 80's and 90's in there too - gotta keep those highschool memories alive!) while I tend towards more Rock/Pop/Country genres. It may be jouvenile for me to rock out to Miley Cyrus or Britney Spears but it gets those happy hormones flowing and that's really what music is all about for me. Plus, the girls "get it" too so we can dance around the house together!

My word is Release and when I Googled "release" and "song titles" all I got was a huge long list of various artists album and/or song release dates. Which I kind of figured was going to be the case. So I went to plan B. I opened up iTunes and pulled up "most played" and went shopping for the tunes that spoke to me. Out of my list of 17 or so, I slowly worked on narrowing it down to 9. Then we were to make up little canvasses using our song titles and some lyrics from the song which spoke to our word.

Here's what I came up with ... initially.


And then in the divided protectors.

But imagine my horror to notice while editing my photos that I misspelt a word on my #7 tag!
Gasp!
I quickly redid it and here are the close ups.

1. Hung Up by Madonna
2. Don't Stop The Music by Rihanna
3. Come What May from the Moulin Rouge Sountrack

4. Raise Your Glass by P!nk
5. Don't Speak by No Doubt
6. F**kin' Perfect by P!nk

7. Uprising by Muse
8. Intervention by The Arcade Fire
9. Don't Stop Believin' by Journey

Ali asked us to burn our soundtrack to a CD and put it into the album. On my soundtrack are 2 bonus tunes. They are The Landlord's Walk and Nelson Mandela's Welcome to the City of Glasgow by Blair Douglas. Both of these are purely instrumental (rockin' bagpipes and drums mostly) so I figured it was safe to add them as I couldn't exactly do the lyrics part of the assignment! They speak to my Scottish roots and always bring a smile to my face and a skip to my step.

I found this transparency in my stash and love the words on it. They really evoke everything that I want to invite into my life right now.

And here is the finished spread.

Everyone is back now and bugging me to put them to bed so I will continue this shortly ...

Okay, girls are in bed, SYTYCD Canada is on the PVR, life is good.

For Week 4 of the MotherLOAD Marathon we are focussing on using what we love and loving what we use. Don't those two things go hand in hand? I haven't done the photo assignment yet which is to take a picture of our favourite ritual but I've done the other two assignments.

First up is the layout assignment. We were to dig out that paper or kit that we've been saving for a "special" layout and JUST USE IT!! I've been hording an entire set of Little Yellow Bicycle's Zinnia collection waiting for .... not sure what. So, as per instructions, I broke it out and got busy. Here's what I came up with.

I chose some pictures from our trip to Whistler for our 4th anniversary when Marley was 21/2 and Paige was 5 months old. See her there in the Snuggly? So cute!
But I digress.
When I pulled the papers and put them with the pictures I really wasn't sure how it was all going to come together. But in the end I love this!

Here are some close ups. First the left hand page. 
The 'Beautiful' is an acrylic accent (from one of the many embellishment packs I have for this collection) and the rest of the title was cut out on my Cricut.

The right hand page. 
The quote along the bottom was actually like that in the paper and I loved it, so I cut out that strip and used it to frame the pictures along the bottom. They call the green accent in the top right corner a photo mat but I used it for my journalling.

Some more close ups of the embellishments. 
 
At the last minute I added the 'love' and the number 4 (which is the only thing NOT from the Zinnia collection). I figured since it was our 4th anniversary and we were a family of 4 at that time it was fitting.

These are little fabric stickers and I originally just put them on the paper but it looked too flat and you could barely see the purple 'love' one. So (in one of those many embellishment collections) I found these acrylic flowers which I popped up with foam dots and voila! WAY better!

I created these little felt flowers from (you guessed it!) a kit! LOL! Then I added the acrylic leaves.

A closer look at the title work. I put it on top of two journalling stickers to which I added the dates of the weekend.

Okay, the final thing for this evening is the homework assignment. We were to put together 4 "snack packs" which we apparantly will be using later during the Marathon part of this class (yikes!)
Here they are!


Want to see them up close?

Some felt flowers, some little journalling tags ...

some bigger journalling tags ...

some buttons, some butterflies ...

and finally, a rosette.
Can't wait to break them out!

All right, now to focus on the dancers on my TV right now.
Thanks for checking out my little blog. Remember to leave some love, you never know when it may come back to you!!




No comments:

Post a Comment